CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jordan

22nd March 2024, 21:57
Thank you Shirley. Looking forward to your next one.
11 of 47  -   Report This Post

jif73

22nd March 2024, 22:41
Yes, it was "lemon squeezy" but, as I have been struggling to get to grips with the endgame of Listener crosswords for many weeks now, I'll take it!
(Also, for the first time in quite a few years, I will not be troubling Mr Green with a request for statistics...)
12 of 47  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

22nd March 2024, 22:49
Malone, try a subscription to the Magpie. The puzzles are graded A to E with most of the Listener setters regularly supplying puzzles. A numeric is also included. They’re great fun. The grade C is probably an average Listener.

13 of 47  -   Report This Post

dodgepot

22nd March 2024, 23:25
I pretty much agree with simplesimon. The Magpie is excellent. I would say in Magpie terms Listener puzzles are nearer B/C on average. My subjective breakdown of the last 100 Listeners is A 12, B 36, C 38, D 13 E 1 (ignoring numericals), which works out at 2.55, with A=1 ….E = 5). They have grown easier over the last few years, presumably in an attempt to attract new solvers. The average was 3 a few years ago. I’ve been doing them for a long time, so I’m too old to be improving.
14 of 47  -   Report This Post

cypherhouse

23rd March 2024, 07:06
As has been noted, this one was on the easier side. I don't mind that one bit. Definitely preferable to spending 3 days filling a grid before discovering that the endgame is insufficiently explained.

Though I may be more relieved than usual given that I just finished last week's puzzle about 24 hours before this one dropped due to being on vacation.

Either way, thanks for this one Chalicea!
15 of 47  -   Report This Post

malone

23rd March 2024, 07:42
Thanks,Simplesimon, dodgepot and cypherhouse. I had a look at the Magpie many years ago and too many of the puzzles were way beyond me! I still don't fancy the D and E puzzles, nor the numericals.
16 of 47  -   Report This Post

gitto

23rd March 2024, 08:46
As I am off on holiday tomorrow I was hoping for an easier puzzle this week, so thanks Chalicea - although it was a little easier than I had hoped for.
17 of 47  -   Report This Post

usuk

23rd March 2024, 10:25
Not sure why , but Magpie crossword mag is blocked by my security system. Any advice?
18 of 47  -   Report This Post

darla

23rd March 2024, 16:07
Coincidentally, I was just reading an article on Buzzfeed about the phenomenon the quote refers to, and citing the author. I won't post a link in fear of revealing too much, but if curious just search on Buzzfeed.
19 of 47  -   Report This Post

oompa

23rd March 2024, 16:39
I agree it’s a relatively easy set of clues, but at my stage with the Listener, it’s still a few hours’ solve, and I certainly only try the more difficult puzzles because of the occasional success, so perhaps they’re right to offer some hope now and again to encourage new solvers. That said, I have an empty cell in this one: 4th letter of 1d. I believe it’s a straightforward clue, as I have the 12 corrections, but I just can’t see it. Any hint as to the structure would be gratefully received!
20 of 47  -   Report This Post