CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

25th February 2024, 18:17
Hi Pippa, it was definitely a harder puzzle today. 25a is a contranym (a word that can mean the opposite of itself). Both meanings are verbs.
26a is asking you to associate “pop” with a familiar expression
31 of 40  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th February 2024, 18:17
22d - "cast off" as old clothes might be and 2 letter "folksy Everyman" and 2 letter usual "editor"
32 of 40  -   Report This Post

pippa

25th February 2024, 18:39
Thanks Brendan and Jono. Finally got there!
33 of 40  -   Report This Post

julesvern

25th February 2024, 18:49
I enjoyed this but agree that it was somewhat harder than usual. Also, where was the rhyming pair?! This grid usually has one doesn't it?

Would not have got 17a without help from this forum, but agree it was a very clever clue (and I don't think I've come across one like this before) I also agree that 26a was a bit dubious. I enjoyed 9a and the two long hiddens - very gratifying when I got those!
34 of 40  -   Report This Post

geeker

25th February 2024, 19:28
jules, Everyman doesn't always have a rhyming pair. Sometimes he goes for alliteration instead. I mentioned @1 that this seems to be an alliteration week, viz. two of the relatively long (10-letter) across clues.

Another option to rhyming pair is "opposites" or two long clues that have contrary meanings. I think that's occurred fairly recently but am too lazy to research the matter. ;-)
35 of 40  -   Report This Post

geeker

25th February 2024, 19:29
oops...one of the alliterative pairs has 10 letters and the other 12.
36 of 40  -   Report This Post

jono

25th February 2024, 20:40
Rhyming pairs, antonym suffixes and alliterations are normally (perhaps I’d go as far as saying, always) positioned in symmetrical grid positions, so that it is clear that they are deliberate. This doesn’t appear to be the case today. Hmm.

Dare I suggest a new Everyman device has emerged … the common letters in the four corners?

This may be nonsense but the coming weeks will tell… ;-)
37 of 40  -   Report This Post

samuipete

26th February 2024, 05:56
Hi Jono, never seen 26a before. Is it just me?
38 of 40  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

26th February 2024, 11:05
It is a modifying word that undermines or contradicts the meaning of the word, phrase, or clause it accompanies, such as "genuine replica." Also known as a w*****ism

More broadly, it may refer to any word that's used with the intention to mislead or misinform.

The term was coined by author Stewart Chaplin in 1900 and popularized by Theodore Roosevelt in a speech in 1916.
39 of 40  -   Report This Post

darla

28th February 2024, 03:15
After the discussion of 19a, you all may find today’s Guardian cryptic of interest.
40 of 40  -   Report This Post