CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paulhabershon

2nd January 2024, 13:34
Since my @5 I have seen kick-start in a Times letter and kick start in an email from a hotel group. Actually I think it is just an annoying expression to be avoided.
11 of 214  -   Report This Post

grunger

2nd January 2024, 16:29
Paul

I think kick-start is acceptable in a motor-bike sense, otherwise not.
12 of 214  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

2nd January 2024, 16:49
Agreed, grunger @12. But is it motorbike, motor-bike or motor bike?

I favour motorbike.
13 of 214  -   Report This Post

jono

3rd January 2024, 10:21
Today’s Guardian…

Sandwich with a good filling for virtuoso (8)

Surely this should be “sandwiches” plural!
14 of 214  -   Report This Post

orson

3rd January 2024, 11:14
You're right of course, jono. But I think the word has joined others that while strictly plural are treated as singular, such as data and graffiti.

This spaghetti is delicious. These spaghetti are delicious. Which sounds more natural?
15 of 214  -   Report This Post

grunger

3rd January 2024, 13:24
Paul

I prefer motor-bike and motor-cycle, but motor car. Not logical, I know, but just feels right.
16 of 214  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd January 2024, 16:00
I've just re-watched one of my favourite westerns, The big country, and noticed something I won't be able to unnotice. For roughly the first half of the film, Buck Hannassey is very left-handed; for the second half he is right-handed!
17 of 214  -   Report This Post

orson

4th January 2024, 13:39
That's well observed, chrise. Was he doing the same things with either hand or was it one hand for some things and the other hand for the rest? I note the actor (Chuck Connors) played baseball in real life and he batted and threw left handed. Perhaps he pretended to be right handed when using a gun, say, because it was a better look on film.

I use different hands for different things and if I were to play cricket I would bat right handed and bowl left handed. I write left handed but use scissors, for example, in the right hand.
18 of 214  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th January 2024, 20:01
I did wonder if they had shown a reel mirror-reversed. Which side of a US horse-drawn cart would the person in charge sit? Gregory Peck was on the RHS.
19 of 214  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th January 2024, 20:04
I watched highlights of the SA/India test last night, and they showed the sessions in the wrong order!
20 of 214  -   Report This Post