CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

darla

27th March 2024, 02:08
Jono 😆
11 of 13  -   Report This Post

ianj

27th March 2024, 11:55
Hello druh6sm,

I fully empathise.

I’ve also been doing the Guardian crosswords for about a year, and often struggle to get started. It also saps the confidence when after half an hour I’m proudly staring at the few clues I’ve managed to get, and then I see someone posts a message like “quite a gentle one today, all done over one cup of tea” :)

I particularly still struggle with the setters who use fiendishly convoluted combinations of wordplay, especially involving finding a synonym for part of the clue and then removing the last letter, or few letters. Some I fail to see how anyone could solve them based purely on the wordplay, but then I guess that’s all part of the challenge :)

Anyway, I’ll keep at it. I’m slowly getting used to some setters, but have to admit my heart sinks when some names appear :)

12 of 13  -   Report This Post

plutocrat

30th March 2024, 03:30
Also, if you're trying to learn how to do crosswords, I don't think there's any disgrace in using the Reveal button to get yourself started, then work backwards to figure out the parsing.
13 of 13  -   Report This Post