CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bowergirl

24th March 2024, 13:25
Re 25a something that is proverbially shut after the occupant has left!
21 of 43  -   Report This Post

julesvern

24th March 2024, 13:57
Ah, thanks Bowergirl. I hadn't realised that the whole of the clue for 6d was a definition of the answer. I understood the definition in relation to where appetisers appear but I thought that 'leading' led to the definition of the first word, and then I was looking for the 'lady to see' part for the rest of the parsing! Totally on the wrong track!

Wouldn't a clue like this usually have an exclamation or question mark at the end to indicate that the whole clue was also the definition? Or am I getting this muddled up with another kind of clue? I guess it could also be classed as a double definition?

Thanks for the 13d hint too - can't believe I missed getting that one.

And thanks to Simon for explaining 21d - makes total sense now!

Still need to solve 20a (my LOI) Someone gave a hint for it upthread, but I'm still none the wiser.

22 of 43  -   Report This Post

jono

24th March 2024, 14:05
Geeker, I agree with your anagram observation.

Anyone wanting to try Azed, today would be a good day to start, with many clues no trickier than those in an average Everyman.
23 of 43  -   Report This Post

julesvern

24th March 2024, 14:50
Okay, I've finally got 20a, and I have to agree with Simon, upthread. Where is the homophone indicator for the second part of the word?? The spelling in the answer is definitely NOT a provision for baking! And isn't the definition, 'something for liqueurs' a bit niche? I've never even heard of this liqueur. Couldn't it just as easily have been 'something for cordials' which are much better known of. In fact, cordial could also have been used in a more misdirecting sense to make a much more satisfactory clue!

Moan over. I largely enjoyed the rest of this crossword, particularly the linked 15a and 8d. I also counted 8 food/culinary related clues. I wonder if this was deliberate? 10a made me smile.

24 of 43  -   Report This Post

philo

24th March 2024, 15:13
Hi Jules

The 'cockney' indicated a way of saying something, typically dropping aitches. So she holds on to a baking ingredient.

I'm struggling with 11d. Any clues?

Phil
25 of 43  -   Report This Post

chrise

24th March 2024, 15:15
11 is an anagram, def. OK (but no better!)
26 of 43  -   Report This Post

philo

24th March 2024, 15:18
Thanks Chrise
27 of 43  -   Report This Post

barryc

24th March 2024, 15:45
Hi all. I've enjoyed this, especially 20a.
Stuck on last three, hints welcome:
3A, 8d & 24A.
Thanks
28 of 43  -   Report This Post

barryc

24th March 2024, 15:48
Just got 8D. Very good. Bit slow to twig. And I've been there!
29 of 43  -   Report This Post

barryc

24th March 2024, 15:50
Sorry. Just got 3a too. Still stuck on 24a
30 of 43  -   Report This Post