CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

19th March 2024, 16:14
Thanks, AP.
11 of 29  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

19th March 2024, 17:07
Brendan, forget the Japanese and Western connection entirely. Write the clashing letters (in column order) in two rows one above the other. Something will very likely become apparent.
12 of 29  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th March 2024, 18:13
Thanks Jack, thanks Malone but it's me being 'a bit dense'.

I've finally got the piece of music but am still have questions...

What is the connection to the title - what is the Magnificent 7 that have "have (something) in common" with this work?

I've looked at 5 separate pieces of the violin sheet music on Google for the opening 14 notes and, while they are roughly in the correct position in relation to each other, they are not those shown by the clashing letters. For example the 12th, 13th and 14th notes should be F,G, A but they're not the last 3 clashing letters?

Malone, you referenced events of the passed week - why?
13 of 29  -   Report This Post

malone

19th March 2024, 18:51
Brendan, the 'Magnificent Seven' ... similar to scoring 5 goals in the World Cup final, say. The big event the previous week was a reminder of the... feat. I thought Jack's hint would have been very useful- don't your clashes show something quite meaningful?

I didn't do anything with the music, notes.
14 of 29  -   Report This Post

malone

19th March 2024, 18:52
Sorry, Brendan, by 'clashes', I meant the non-musical/non-notes bit.
15 of 29  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th March 2024, 19:12
I don't know what's going on Malone, I really don't.

One set of the clashing letters give the name of a film that's theme was written by the world famous 4, 8, the music of which has a violin part whose notes, in relation to each other, match the positions of the clashing letters in the grid but, as I said, while the set of letters that aren't used in the film title are all notes, they are not those shown in the sheet music on Google.

Regards the "magnificent 7' - I can't think of any sporting event over the last week or so that bears any relation to this or where 7 of anything happened. There was the rugby, but that's six nations. There was a 7 goal thriller between Man U and Liverpool, but that was played on the same day the puzzle was printed so, unless Gaston has a crystal ball, it's not that.

To be honest, I'm losing the will to live so am going to admit defeat on this one... although I might watch the film tonight:-)
16 of 29  -   Report This Post

malone

19th March 2024, 19:20
Thanks for the update, Brendan. I think you have got everything now... just a pity the notes don't match up with the sheet music.

The magnificent seven just refers to something achieved by the film... What could it have got seven of? (Excuse the appalling English!) The previous week saw the latest in the annual series of ... the occasion.
17 of 29  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

19th March 2024, 19:20
Not a sporting event Brendan but this Magnificent Seven is not quite of Titanic proportions.
18 of 29  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th March 2024, 19:38
Okay, got it. Thanks again Malone, thanks again Jack.

I am still a bit perplexed why Gaston made sure that every single one of the non film title clashes was a musical note, but not ones that match the actual piece in question, especially given the instruction spelled out by the extra letters.

Anyway, thanks again, I'm off to to walk the dog.... sounds like a euphemism 😉
19 of 29  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

19th March 2024, 21:09
The appalling English, Malone, is something “up with which I will not put.” (to quote a much greater exponent of the language than me 😉).
20 of 29  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1634