CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jack aubrey

17th March 2024, 18:35
An honourable mention for Gaston’s “The Magnificent Seven”. Very neatly constructed and great fun to solve. Had to get my poor wife to fill in the name below the grid - I’m not yet used to writing that neatly and that small with my left hand!
1 of 29  -   Report This Post

manu

18th March 2024, 16:26
I loved it. Great puzzle by Gaston.
I just can't parse 34ac.
Getting ready to read your hints and kick myself.
2 of 29  -   Report This Post

mapledurwell

18th March 2024, 17:16
Stones are quite a lot of small ones (losing a letter). Asian food is what you would expect - round an abbreviation for enclosed. Tin is slang for money. But there are two clashes.
3 of 29  -   Report This Post

manu

18th March 2024, 18:19
Thank you very much! I had the definition and the answer. But the wordplay beat me.
4 of 29  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

19th March 2024, 14:28
Running late yet again with this. I have a full grid and all the clashes but I suspect I am over-complicating things for myself yet again. I think the 2 word title is not entered in the grid and that the various 'random' (not really that random) remaining letters are and that the name to entered below the grid is very famous in their field. I can't help thinking though that there is more to it than that.
5 of 29  -   Report This Post

malone

19th March 2024, 14:46
AP, yes... you are perhaps over-complicating things! The 'not really random' letters are entered in the circles and the very famous name is written below the grid.
6 of 29  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th March 2024, 15:10
Well I'm feeling particularly dim. Despite having seen both the Western and the Japanese original and having progressed to Grade II on the violin as a child, I cannot make any sense of the clashing letters. Obviously one lot look like the "notes" referred to by the extra letters, but I can't make any coherent phrase from the remainder. I've checked all the principals involved with both films and none are 4,8 so feel sure the village protecting gunslingers are a red herring. I've also Googled famous groups of 7, deadly sins, continents, dwarfs... you name it, but that too has led to nothing.

I had hoped looking with fresh eyes this morning would help but, alas, no.

I'm off to take my canine guest out for a walk - maybe it will help clear the cobwebs away!
7 of 29  -   Report This Post

malone

19th March 2024, 15:14
Brendan, your Western and Japanese mentions have thrown me - my solution has nothing to do with those! Timing, events over the previous week or so, is also helpful...

8 of 29  -   Report This Post

malone

19th March 2024, 15:23
Brendan, I've just grasped the Western and Japanese bit... I was a bit dense!
9 of 29  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

19th March 2024, 16:11
Thank you for the confirmation Malone. As usual I was creating difficulties for myself where they didn't exist.
10 of 29  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1634