CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cruciluci

27th April 2024, 15:36
Finding today's pretty frustrating - solved all but one clue, all the unclued entries seemingly nonsense, and can't make sense of the instruction.

Could I check one or more of the following:
- I thought I had 5d, with extra letter R, is this incorrect
- a hint for 12ac, which has no fits in Chambers
- is the unclued entry containing 32 a relevant game, or also gibberish?
1 of 51  -   Report This Post

cruciluci

27th April 2024, 15:43
I will say in the puzzle's favour though, I am very pleased to see a symmetrical grid again after rather missing them for the last couple of weeks
2 of 51  -   Report This Post

buddy

27th April 2024, 15:52
5d, extra is not an R

12a, alternate spelling is in Chambers, usual letter for hospital inside Sweden (abbr) + talk rubbish reversed.

32 is the one of three actual words or phrases among all the shadeds, and is a game.

Being rather unfamiliar with the theme, a lot of checking Wikipedia to complete the grid,
3 of 51  -   Report This Post

cruciluci

27th April 2024, 16:43
Thanks for the quick reply, buddy.

I think this means I have to replace the 'T' from 8d with a 'G' for some reason. Not yet sure how the last 3 letters relate.

May have to knock this on the head as I can't see where to start with the shaded entries, even with the 4 letters apparent (I thought there'd be five).
4 of 51  -   Report This Post

jogamel

27th April 2024, 16:45
I’m way behind you cruciluci and need help with 30a please: law catalogue reduced total number of words (6) I have ??E?IS
5 of 51  -   Report This Post

cruciluci

27th April 2024, 16:51
This is one of the entries altered by the instruction. The definition is "total number of words".
It's a short Latin word for "law", followed by the first 3 letters of a 4-letter word meaning "catalogue" (but removing the first letter of the catalogue as the extra)
6 of 51  -   Report This Post

jogamel

27th April 2024, 17:01
Thank you. So far so good but no idea about the silvered cells yet
7 of 51  -   Report This Post

cruciluci

28th April 2024, 11:22
The penny dropped for me when I was trying to sleep at 3am - would have gotten it much faster if I'd been confident to actually write in the grid.

Still missing a couple, though, and can't find the G from 8 down.
8 of 51  -   Report This Post

jogamel

28th April 2024, 11:51
Cruciluci I too was awake at 3.00 am but no penny dropped for me as I have not got all the letters needed for the instruction. So could you help with two more?
8d: CIA perhaps brought up characteristic sound that is special (6). I have ???IES.
28d: Long distance race to finish abruptly beside river in Iberia (6). I (only) have ????R?
9 of 51  -   Report This Post

ozzy

28th April 2024, 12:11
Cruciluci, the first 3 letters of 8d (plus the surplus g) are clued by words 3-6 of the clue.
Jogamel, the wordplay to 28d is a curtailed 3-letter word for finish plus a 5-letter Iberian river noted for wine production, minus the second letter which you presumably know. The answer is a race.
I needed Wiki and some reverse engineering to fill the unclued entries. Some of them were a bit of a stretch imo but satisfying in the end.
10 of 51  -   Report This Post