CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

27th April 2024, 00:33
Maskarade is a funny one. His holiday cryptics are often a more or less satisfying hard solve, but his (rare) standard Prizes are far less challenging. Perhaps they consist mainly of the easy clues that provide the way in to the themed jigsaws?
Anyway, I found this one very gentle indeed. FOI 8a, LOI 21d. COD perhaps 7d. Clue I didn’t like perhaps 18d.
1 of 36  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th April 2024, 00:42
Thanks to Maskarade. I don't go for jumbos since Araucaria retired, and don't care for M's despite their ingenuity, but have enjoyed his relatively infrequent 15x15s.
Agreed this was extremely gentle.
FOI 8, LOI 22, which remains half-parsed but solution seems clear.
COI clearly 7. Also liked 16 (though it's a bit familiar), 14 and 26.
Several musical solutions, but perhaps not enough for a theme.
2 of 36  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

27th April 2024, 00:46
geeker, I’m not surprised that 22 is half-parsed for you; as it’s a very East side of the Pond thing. If you google the letters you haven’t parsed you may unlock it.
3 of 36  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

27th April 2024, 00:54
I’ve just noticed that there is a rather lovely Nina going on, to be sure, to be sure. I very rarely spot these things, so I’m glad I’ve seen it, albeit belatedly.
4 of 36  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th April 2024, 01:00
Good work on the Nina! I made a brief scan, obviously too brief.
Really funny that I didn't see it, because I (jazz enthusiast) just listened to a Johnny Griffin album whose title involves one part. 🤣
5 of 36  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

27th April 2024, 01:06
1961-2, geeker? I’m ashamed to say that I don’t know Griffin’s work at all. Will download the album you refer to and listen to it on my walk to a concert rehearsal later today!
6 of 36  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th April 2024, 01:15
Yes, that's the one.
7 of 36  -   Report This Post

a1philosopher

27th April 2024, 05:39
The Guardian recently introduced a more simple cryptic weekly crossword that uses only four types of clues in each offering and which is targeted towards cryptic crossword newbs. This week’s prize seems to be in that vein, so if that is indeed the case, a kudo or two to the crossword department at The Guardian for broadening the scope of the prize crossword.
8 of 36  -   Report This Post

rocky7

27th April 2024, 07:50
I don't have an issue with puzzles being a bit easier sometimes. Personally this had a few too many anagrams for my own tastes but each to their own. It was worth it for my COD 14a.

I do still have one left to get. 17a I have no idea what it's all about so a hint would be good if possible.
9 of 36  -   Report This Post

jono

27th April 2024, 08:03
Hi Rocky, 17a is yet another anagram. Definitions by example.
10 of 36  -   Report This Post