CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

7th April 2024, 01:05
Alan (editor) seems to have thrown us a curveball (or the cricket equivalent?) this weekend. After a Prize that many considered extremely gentle, this Everyman was a beast IMO.

Feared DNF for a long time and surprised that I finished, but a few parsings remain elusive.

Some very nice clues, though one long item borrows from a clever puzzle earlier in the week.

Thanks to Everyman for a surprise.
1 of 50  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

7th April 2024, 01:14
Absolutely agree, geeker. And, unusually for an Everyman (in my experience at least), there’s a very pervasive and cleverly used theme which I’m guessing will not be familiar to you. I enjoyed it though, and was glad of the challenge after yesterday’s Prize which I’m afraid I still maintain was nowhere near up to the mark.
Intrigued by the echo in 12a of a solution from earlier in the week.
2 of 50  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

7th April 2024, 01:15
(Sorry, geeker: I failed to notice that you had already referred to the echo! If you need any parsing hints, let me know…)
3 of 50  -   Report This Post

geeker

7th April 2024, 01:19
Thanks, rogissimo.
I figured there was a theme, but it appears to be subtle and also highly UK GK/culture dependent, leaving me no chance of deducing it.
4 of 50  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

7th April 2024, 01:24
As I guessed, geeker. I’m doubly impressed that you finished pretty quickly, given that two solutions at least require GK that is pretty UK-specific.
5 of 50  -   Report This Post

lucertola

7th April 2024, 05:06
Finished Ok but didn't enjoy it. Found the theme laboured and the whole thing rather clunky. Best to keep Everyman straightforward or change its name.
6 of 50  -   Report This Post

neville17

7th April 2024, 06:54
Agree with all, particularly Lucertola - I really didn't enjoy this at all and wasn't sure if numerous proper names were real people or not - not living in UK nor having a TV! Found this much harder than the Prize.
7 of 50  -   Report This Post

jono

7th April 2024, 06:58
As advertised the Quiptic has indeed moved to Sunday. Today’s is by Pasquale.

I put a note a the Guardian thread, but Everyman solvers in particular may be interested in a programme on the history of crosswords tonight on bbc radio 4.
8 of 50  -   Report This Post

edc

7th April 2024, 07:33
I didn't enjoy this at all. Some of the clueing was very esoteric. I'm still not sure how to parse 27a
Ed
9 of 50  -   Report This Post

yevrah

7th April 2024, 07:44
Good day all. Agree with sentiments, did not enjoy today's and although seem to have solutions I am sure some are wrong. I cannot spot any theme either. Also noticed 12a reappearance. There seem to be a few clues with unnecessary additional words. So for today's enjoyment I'll look forward to going 4th after 6 pm. COYS.
10 of 50  -   Report This Post