CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cockie

6th April 2024, 20:08
A fine one from Serpent, with, as so often, a discovery of interest. However I'm stuck with 28 and 32, where nothing seems to fit the crossing letters.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

krauton

6th April 2024, 20:34
28a 4 letter word for great, 2 letter word for American,
3 letter word for author's. First letter of 4 letter word for great
is extra.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

granama1

6th April 2024, 20:39
28a is a bit hmm I thought. I think it goes 'Great' is high as a person might be described (minus a letter), American is the usual 2 letters and 'author's' is 'me, the author has'.

Not sure about the parsing of the first bit of 32 but the sailors distance seems straightforward. (It's 2,6). I suspect the island is a 4 letter Scottish one shortened and second letter extra ending up with 2 letters.
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

cockie

6th April 2024, 21:05
Thanks both. Not helped by having one of the downs wrong!
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

buddy

6th April 2024, 22:30
The YouTube video of the event is must-see.
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

gitto

7th April 2024, 12:27
I think this puzzle is brilliant, both in cluing and in construction. I also agree with buddy that the video is a must see. Considering the state of the car in the aftermath it is miraculous that no one was killed!!
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

graham9perkins

7th April 2024, 15:06
That was fun! Very well constructed. I see the bars are rotationally symmetric, which must add a challenge to the composition. Are they always thus? (Listener in The Times is not)
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

eider

8th April 2024, 17:47
A very fun puzzle, and an event I had not come across and am very glad now to have done! Nice endgame!
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

9th April 2024, 12:14
Great fun. Thank you, Serpent. As my empty cells accumulated - very much not in a straight line - I wondered if I was going agley. But the endgame resolved that apparent problem in a very apt way.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post