CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

2nd September 2023, 02:14
I found this week's Prize by Qaos to be a rather curious affair in that some of the answers were virtual write ins while others really took a lot of thought and unpacking. Still, I suppose that's what a good crossword should be.

The only answer I haven't been able to parse is 31a although the answer is clear from the definition and crossers.

7d is a new word to me, but what a great word it is:-)

COD - A clear winner for me this week with the brilliant 3d.

Thanks to Qaos for a challenging but fun crossword.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 75  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd September 2023, 02:21
31a - Just figured out the wordplay - very devious:-)
2 of 75  -   Report This Post

geeker

2nd September 2023, 02:27
Thanks to Qaos, a rare visitor to Prize land.

Brendan, I found this difficult overall, though not exceptionally tough. Progress was slow and spotty despite, as you mentioned, a number of easy clues.

FOI 1d. LOI 26, needed the crossers as the name was unfamiliar.

As a geek, 22 must be COD, though 25, 26a and 30 were contenders. Also enjoyed 3, 31, 2, 24 and 17. Would have rated 31 higher, but I'm not a fan of the musical figure involved. 🤣
3 of 75  -   Report This Post

geeker

2nd September 2023, 02:29
Brendan, I'd never seen 7 as a standalone word, but in plural it's part of an American colloquial expression. Rare instance where being a Statesider helped with a crossword!
4 of 75  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd September 2023, 02:37
Hi Geeker,

And I thought everyone loved 31 😀

5 of 75  -   Report This Post

geeker

2nd September 2023, 02:50
Brendan, he doesn't need me to validate his career, and he recorded many fine songs...but I've always perceived him as a schlockmeister. On the plus side, definitely a Meister!
6 of 75  -   Report This Post

lucertola

2nd September 2023, 06:46
Now you've helped me parse this, I feel ill!
7 of 75  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd September 2023, 08:31
Good fun I thought. No one’s mentioned the theme! :-)
8 of 75  -   Report This Post

rocky7

2nd September 2023, 08:32
I think this is a bit different so I'm enjoying it. Like Brendan said, some write ins and some real belters. A long way to go but for now, in 1d, I can see the first three letters. Why does that represent the fourth? If possible with no spoilers.
9 of 75  -   Report This Post

simond9x

2nd September 2023, 08:39
Look round the grid
10 of 75  -   Report This Post