CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dylan

27th December 2019, 17:41
Early days yet, but this looks a stinker! I think I have the entries for 16ac and 10d, but no idea what's going on. I also have solutions for 5d and 31d, but not sure how to enter. This will need some help!
1 of 107  -   Report This Post

chips

27th December 2019, 17:59
Like many solvers here, I won't even see this until tomorrow- but thanks for the early warning of what's in store!
2 of 107  -   Report This Post

mooncow

28th December 2019, 01:53
Hmm.

10d solves for me as a nice normal clue whose answer fits in the grid, but the first word of the clue doesn’t seem to contribute: so maybe the first word “has been treated” in one of the two ways and reversing that would complete the clue — eg if the original word were “Scottish” rather than “Wish”...?

31d solves ok for me to a 7-letter word that needs to go into a 5-letter grid slot, so presumably it’s one of the answers that needs to be thematically altered.

I’m flailing too at the moment: I need to solve more to figure out what’s happening, but this one is proving slow on the cold solving. Maybe I’ll do better in the morning...
3 of 107  -   Report This Post

ginge

28th December 2019, 02:11
Hi mooncow, your thoughts on both these clues are correct and yes, further cold solving will identify patterns.
4 of 107  -   Report This Post

unclued

28th December 2019, 08:41
I would guess that in 10dn “wish” becomes Wishaw - a place in Scotland.
5 of 107  -   Report This Post

dylan

28th December 2019, 08:55
My pessimism was slightly premature. Nibbling away through the evening now gives me a grid half full, with some fairly standard alterations being made The SW corner is proving the hardest.

Thanks, Unclued, for the suggestion of Wishaw- I realised it had to be something Scottish. Out today on a daughter's gift of a mystery experience in London- crossword will resume this evening!
6 of 107  -   Report This Post

gitto

28th December 2019, 11:18
OK, I have a serious problem with this. I now have a full grid, but cannot parse 30a,38a,6d nor 22d - all of which are not part of the altered entries. That in itself doesn't present the biggest problem which for me is that I cannot distinguish any difference between how any of the entries or other clues are treated.
7 of 107  -   Report This Post

foinaven

28th December 2019, 11:34
I am in the same position (and the same clues to parse, plus a couple more). It is very odd to have more or less a full grid and not an inkling of what is going on! I do, however, have the creature. This makes a sort of sense but is still not much help.

I am sure that the light will dawn and I will kick myself.
8 of 107  -   Report This Post

ginge

28th December 2019, 12:15
Hi gitto & foinavon, I'm not sure how much of a nudge either of you need but I'll give you the words that need to be altered in the 4 clues mentioned (you've already established the answers are unaffected) but if you need more post again.
30a count
38a who
6d rib
22d not
9 of 107  -   Report This Post

gitto

28th December 2019, 12:37
Thanks Ginge, although I had sorted 6d, I was at a complete loss with the other three. All parsing now sorted out, but still baffled - there is definitely something fishy going on here.
10 of 107  -   Report This Post