CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paulhabershon

19th April 2024, 15:13
I think there was a rare mistake in today's Times Polygon. I have a probable early print edition, being temporarily on the Isle of Man. The nine letters make the non-existent INCITEFUL (insightful is obviously the correct word).

I notice that the online edition has completely different letters for Polygon. I wonder if anyone can confirm that later print editions were corrected or not?
1 of 4  -   Report This Post

malone

19th April 2024, 15:29
PH, my copy has the Inciteful letters... and my copy of the Shorter OED has Inciteful...
2 of 4  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

19th April 2024, 15:43
Thanks, malone, and apologies to Polygon. As usual, I checked the latest Collins Official Scrabble Words list and got 'unacceptable' for INCITEFUL.

I still wonder, though, why the online edition has a different word. I thought it is usually the same as in that day's print edition.
3 of 4  -   Report This Post

malone

19th April 2024, 15:48
PH, thanks. It's not a puzzle I ever do - and I had no idea whether certain dictionaries were regarded as 'official' arbiters. It does seem odd that the online edition has a different word...
4 of 4  -   Report This Post