CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

stmichel

19th April 2024, 13:42
Weekend Peer Review 233

Welcome to our weekend competition to compose a cryptic clue to be judged by your fellow contestants. You may enter as many clues as you like, and everyone is welcome, particularly new entrants. Feel free to explain your clue, if you think it will help, or to ask another entrant to parse their clue. However, please don't comment on the clues before voting closes.

Clues should be posted before noon (UK time) on Sunday, April 21st when voting opens. Voting closes at 7pm (UK time) the same day.

This weekend's challenge, inspired by my home hamlet is:

Pardon my French (6,2,6)

Despite convention over using of "one" not "my" I think in this case "my" is more appropriate because that is the common phrase.

However for me, any appropriate variant,
Excuse my French
Pardon ones French
Excuse ones French
are allowed

Note that in all cases, from my experience the French take exception to this phrase: "you mean that when you swear you think it sounds French?"

————-
Weekend rules: each entrant has six votes to allocate across any of one to six clues (no fractional votes allowed). For example, the allocation might be 3/2/1 for your top 3 favourite clues, and many other allocations are possible. In the event of a tie, the number of first place votes will be taken into consideration (if those are equal, 2nd place votes, etc).

Future setters should note that a complete list of words used previously in Clueless, Peer Review and Weekend Peer Review challenges is available here https://tinyurl.com/4dzss5np
1 of 58  -   Report This Post

stmichel

19th April 2024, 13:43
Please excuse the early weekend post: I have to be somewhere this evening!
2 of 58  -   Report This Post

geting

19th April 2024, 14:30
Sorry I left horny camp friend dancing (6,2,6)
3 of 58  -   Report This Post

chrise

19th April 2024, 14:30
Crap fonder hymn makes an apology for profanity (6,2,6)

"Pardon"
4 of 58  -   Report This Post

amej

19th April 2024, 16:31
Apologies - mean fellow starts to microwave your food with what sounds like a spanner (6,2,6)
5 of 58  -   Report This Post

paul

19th April 2024, 16:31
Wild nymph forced a RN seaman to swear like a sailor - then apologise! (6,2,6)
6 of 58  -   Report This Post

geting

19th April 2024, 16:32
Forget to marry, then sort of kiss by way of apology (6,2,6)

Marry! interj (archaic)
7 of 58  -   Report This Post

jono

19th April 2024, 17:43
Apologies if this sounds rude but to start fishing Normandy perch is madness (6,2,6)

(f Normandy perch)*
8 of 58  -   Report This Post

buddy

19th April 2024, 18:25
Sorry about the shi**y blowjob, if you'll excuse my language (6,2,6)

Oh come on, we were all thinking it.
9 of 58  -   Report This Post

buddy

19th April 2024, 19:16
I suppose since MY is part of the answer, my ending should be "excuse the language". There, not at all offensive now.
10 of 58  -   Report This Post